One of the Xmas gifts I had to come up with was
for my sister-in-law.
The theme was 'pictures', so it was pretty wide
open. I decided to make her a picture frame. I've done similar
things before, and I recall that it was very expensive to get
glass and mattes cut to fit a custom frame.
So, this time I
bought a cheap frame and pulled the glass & matte out of it for
the frame I was building. Instead of challenging my local
picture framing store to cut glass to fit my frame, I am being
challenged to build a frame to match the glass.
Since I had recently done some carving, and I
can still use a bit of practice, I decided that I should put
some carved details on the frame. I dredged a few interesting
images and patterns up from the Internet. I looked over the
molding planes on the shelf, and picked a couple of likely
prospects and some scrap pine for a sample.
The sample turned
out OK, but was more of a 'you get the idea' (TM Roy U) thing
than a definitive specimen. My wife offered some opinions and I
went back and made a couple more samples, but as it turned out,
the first one was definitely the best.
I selected some butternut for the frame, and
broke it down to manageable size using the bandsaur and
thickness planer (so much for the ENB label, eh?). Then a quick
cleanup with a jack plane to remove planer & saw marks and make
sure that the stock was all the same width. I examined each
piece to determine which face and edge were to be the 'show'
faces, and to grade the stock for grain.
Since I am molding both edges of the material, I
need stock with very straight grain because I will be running my
planes in both directions. I identified the best four pieces and
marked the reference faces.
Time to get down to the real work. I set up my
fillister plane (a Stanley #78 in this case) to cut a rebate to
match the one in the original crappy plastic frame, and worked
the rebates on all four pieces.
Then it was the inner 5/16 bead on the face of
No maker's mark on this plane but it is boxed. I
had to be careful to make sure I was putting the molding on the
correct edge (above the rebate). This plane has some issues with
the cutter. I think the profile of the outside of the quirk is
wrong. It's pushing the plane over a bit on each subsequent cut,
which produces a deformed bead. Still looks OK, but is too
uneven if you are after perfection.
I'll have to fix that some day (yah, right after
I finish the other 10,000 projects).
The larger 1/2 inch bead (another no-name plane,
this one is unboxed) on the outer edge of the frame works fine.
This left a square central potion of the molding.
I used a #8 Griffiths hollow plane to round this
over to create a half inch wide hump between the beads.